Which is the best 85cc motorcycle out of these choices?
Tom
2008-04-09 10:30:59 UTC

2008-04-09 10:38:36 UTC

2008-04-10 11:09:44 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
none of them.
HTH.
Which bike would you go for then, Darsy?
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2008-04-10 11:13:50 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Tom
Post by Tom
Post by darsy
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
none of them.
HTH.
Which bike would you go for then, Darsy?
Oh Christ, you've done it now...
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

My position was (and, to be honest, largely remains) one of complete ambiguity.
scrape
2008-04-09 11:12:53 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
The KTM.

----
Go fast and aim for where the trees aren't.
----
TOG@Toil
2008-04-09 11:34:56 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
The black one
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2008-04-09 12:09:40 UTC
Post by ***@Toil
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
The black one
Red ones are faster.

chrisu
2008-04-09 12:15:57 UTC
Post by Wicked Uncle Nigel
Post by ***@Toil
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
The black one
Red ones are faster.
sorry but green kawasakis are faster.
Gazz
2008-04-09 13:19:06 UTC
Post by chrisu
But yalla susukis pull the birds better
e***@mxnewsfeed.com
2008-04-09 13:19:27 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
Tom
The Yammi is a great all around bike for MX. Second choice would be
the Suzuki. The Kawi is complicated to repair and the Honda is slow.
Pete Fisher
2008-04-09 18:40:58 UTC
In communiqué
Post by e***@mxnewsfeed.com
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
Tom
The Yammi is a great all around bike for MX. Second choice would be
the Suzuki. The Kawi is complicated to repair and the Honda is slow.
The lad has just graduated from a 2000 KX65[1] to a small wheel 2004
YZ85. Seems good to me. It is certainly providing as much go as he needs
at the moment.

I got it off Ebay, partly influenced by good experiences with working on
the faux WR250, and partly because there is a good Yamaha dealer near
the chateau.

Dare say a KTM would be better in an experts hands though. Every other
bike at the speed hill climbs is orange these days.

[1] BTW this will shortly be for sale on Ebay, with viewing possible at
J4M54 practice track, some time fairly soon.
| Pete Fisher at Home: ***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |
| Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest * 2 Yamaha WR250Z |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 Morini 350 "Forgotten Error" |
Tom
2008-04-10 11:15:57 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
Tom
The Yammi is a great all around bike for MX. Second choice would be
the Suzuki. The Kawi is complicated to repair and the Honda is slow.
That's very helpful, thanks.

It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
Rayvan
2008-04-10 14:22:51 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
Tom
The Yammi is a great all around bike for MX. Second choice would be
the Suzuki. The Kawi is complicated to repair and the Honda is slow.
That's very helpful, thanks.
No, it isn't. It's bullshit. None of them are slow, especially the
Honda.
Post by Tom
It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
You can't go wrong with any of them as they all gun for eachother when
they build 'em. To say "the Honda is slow" is probably the *stupidest*
response here yet.

Did you read this review?
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=991&Page=1

That's LOTS more helpful than "The Honda is Slow" Duh!
Rayvan
e***@mxnewsfeed.com
2008-04-12 11:56:27 UTC
Post by Rayvan
Post by Tom
It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
You can't go wrong with any of them as they all gun for eachother when
they build 'em. To say "the Honda is slow" is probably the *stupidest*
response here yet.
Did you read this review?http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=991&Page=1
That's LOTS more helpful than "The Honda is Slow" Duh!
--
Rayvan- Hide quoted text -
You've obviously never ridden them you lard ass!!
Rayvan
2008-04-12 18:59:59 UTC
Post by Rayvan
Post by Tom
It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
You can't go wrong with any of them as they all gun for eachother when
they build 'em. To say "the Honda is slow" is probably the *stupidest*
response here yet.
Did you read this review?http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=991&Page=1
That's LOTS more helpful than "The Honda is Slow" Duh!
--
Rayvan- Hide quoted text -
You've obviously never ridden them you lard ass!!- Hide quoted text -
Boy, I guess you showed me!
What's next? Are you going to say "Nyah nyah na Nyah Nyah?" LOL!
Don't be silly. Race all four, best rider wins, everyone (who's grown
up beyond 13 yrs. old, anyway) knows that. Time to grow up a little,
huh? Log out of daddys computer and go play, okay?
--
Rayvan

e***@mxnewsfeed.com
2008-04-12 12:00:44 UTC
Post by Rayvan
Post by Tom
It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
You can't go wrong with any of them as they all gun for eachother when
they build 'em. To say "the Honda is slow" is probably the *stupidest*
response here yet.
Did you read this review?http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=991&Page=1
That's LOTS more helpful than "The Honda is Slow" Duh!
--
Rayvan- Hide quoted text -
Hahahaha!! This is coming from the dufus who thtought the AMA was sold
to NASCAR!

Who's readin' now?
Rayvan
2008-04-12 18:53:02 UTC
Post by e***@mxnewsfeed.com
Post by Rayvan
Post by Tom
It looks like a red Yammi is the best so far. But I've not read the other
You can't go wrong with any of them as they all gun for eachother when
they build 'em. To say "the Honda is slow" is probably the *stupidest*
response here yet.
Did you read this review?http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=991&Page=1
That's LOTS more helpful than "The Honda is Slow" Duh!
--
Rayvan- Hide quoted text -
Hahahaha!! This is coming from the dufus who thtought the AMA was sold
to NASCAR!
<quote>
Led by Roger Edmondson, the founder of the CCS motorcycle racing
series and currently the President of the Grand American Road Race
Series LLC, and Jim France, Vice Chairman/Executive Vice President of
NASCAR, DMG will assume responsibility for the AMA Superbike Series,
the AMA Motocross Series, the AMA Flat Track Series, the AMA
Supermoto
Series, the AMA Hillclimb Series and ATV Pro Racing. The agreement in
principle does not include the AMA Supercross and AMA Arenacross
Series, the rights to which are held by Live Nation. Daytona
Motorsports Group will license the use of the AMA name and trademarks
to promote their motorcycle racing activities.
<end quote>

Rayvan
JayC
2008-04-10 16:48:19 UTC
Post by e***@mxnewsfeed.com
The Yammi is a great all around bike for MX. Second choice would be
the Suzuki. The Kawi is complicated to repair and the Honda is slow.
My son rides a CR80 Expert (not even an 85), and it is fast. Crazy
fast. F'in crazy fast. It's faster than a neighbors' KX100 by a long
shot. The little bikes are sensitive to jetting, however, and our 80
is jetted absolutely perfect - minor changes made big differences,
primarily in low and mid - 1/4 turn of the air screw makes the
difference between being unridable in the woods and chugging down low
like a 4-stroke. I'm getting more and more convinced that all the poo
about Hondas being relatively slow in general (like the poor beaten
down 125s) are primarily because the Honda stock jetting pretty much
stinks (probably worse than the other brands), and few know enough to
get them running right.

JayC
HellSickle
2008-04-10 17:05:48 UTC
How fast will it go?
JayC
2008-04-10 21:15:50 UTC
Post by HellSickle
My son rides a CR80 Expert (not even an 85), and it is fast.  Crazy
fast.  F'in crazy fast.
How fast will it go?
It goes sooooooo fast, I have to reset my watch after I ride it.

JayC
Jeff Mayner
2008-04-10 21:44:34 UTC
Heh-heh...
Dean H.
Is it me, or do you have a "thing" about jetting?
FiftyPlus
2008-04-09 13:24:23 UTC
Tom

'Best' for what ? New/Used ? Are you trail riding ? Training a
new rider ? Racing? Decorating ? Trying to start an argument ? Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
sleazy
2008-04-09 14:46:59 UTC
Post by FiftyPlus
Tom
'Best' for what ? New/Used ? Are you trail riding ? Training a
new rider ? Racing? Decorating ? Trying to start an argument ? Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I think he succeeded well at that last part. <g>

I vote for the KTM in orange.
Tom
2008-04-11 19:56:50 UTC
Post by FiftyPlus
Tom
'Best' for what ? New/Used ? Are you trail riding ? Training a
new rider ? Racing? Decorating ? Trying to start an argument ? Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
Ace
2008-04-11 20:06:58 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by FiftyPlus
Tom
'Best' for what ? New/Used ? Are you trail riding ? Training a
new rider ? Racing? Decorating ? Trying to start an argument ? Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
--
_______
.'_/_|_\_'. Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
`
p***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk
2008-04-11 20:22:21 UTC
Post by Ace
Post by Tom
Tom
  'Best' for what ?  New/Used ?  Are you trail riding ?  Training a
new rider ?  Racing? Decorating ?  Trying to start an argument ?  Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
Can you imagine being 11 years old?

PF
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2008-04-11 20:24:06 UTC
Post by p***@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk
Post by Ace
Post by Tom
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
Can you imagine being 11 years old?
If Des is about, I'd rather not. Thanks.

ginge
2008-04-11 21:13:03 UTC
In article <Jj43wQrmj8$***@rcav8r.demon.co.uk>, Wicked Uncle Nigel
says...
Post by Ace
Post by Tom
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
Can you imagine being 11 years old?
If Des is about, I'd rather not. Thanks.
You'd be safe I suspect. It's those naughty schoolgirls he likes to
punish.
Wicked Uncle Nigel
2008-04-11 21:17:10 UTC
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, ginge
Post by ginge
says...
Post by Ace
Post by Tom
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
Can you imagine being 11 years old?
If Des is about, I'd rather not. Thanks.
You'd be safe I suspect. It's those naughty schoolgirls he likes to
punish.
<twirls pigtails>

S'wot I meant.

Tom
I could 5 years ago
Pete Fisher
2008-04-12 12:54:58 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by Ace
Post by Tom
Tom
'Best' for what ? New/Used ? Are you trail riding ? Training a
new rider ? Racing? Decorating ? Trying to start an argument ? Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
You've already had the answer - none of them. Why anyone would want
such a tiny thing I can't imagine.
Can you imagine being 11 years old?
I could 5 years ago
So you are looking for a big wheel 85 rather than a 125 then? In the UK
the switch to a 125 in ACU youth MX is usually made at around 15.

When my 11 year old lad went to an indoor practice track last November
he really wanted to try a 150 four stroke, but it was just too high for
him. The owner's son was flying round on a really trick KTM 150 four
stroke. Sounded awesome.

Some of the 85s have a reputation for being really peaky and not easy to
ride for a novice. The 150 four strokes seem similar with the added
problem of starting the beast. Some junior MX clubs are considering
excluding them because the smaller riders just can't restart mid race.

I have no experience of MX 125s other than seeing how well they can go
in supermoto trim up the tight short speed hill climbs here in the UK.
Others may know if any of those are easier to ride than an 85.

As I said before, we went for a YZ85 because of experience with the
WR250 that I keep in France which is really just a YZ with lights (as
you can see from my sig I don't generally go for Japanese bikes). 12
years old and still going strong. Easy to work on the clutch when it
needed doing. The KX65 looks much trickier. Got to go back to getting
that ready to go on Ebay now.
Rayvan
2008-04-11 20:51:24 UTC
Post by Tom
  'Best' for what ?  New/Used ?  Are you trail riding ?  Training a
new rider ?  Racing? Decorating ?  Trying to start an argument ?  Ask
a longer question and tap into the wealth of info that's here OR hang
you ass out for us to take potshots at.
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
Basically, it's "Pick your favorite color." They're all good for MX
(if you only weigh around 100 lbs.). If you weigh more than that,
they're going to need new springs and a re-valve anyway.

You'll never get a straight answer by asking that question.

People who ride the red bikes think the red bikes are best.
People who ride the blue bikes think the blue bikes are best.
People who ride the green bikes think the green bikes are best.
People who ride the yellow bikes think the yellow bikes are best.

Tom, If you're (or your kid is) a beginner, any one of them are going
to be *far* above your (or his/her) current talent level and they may
even scare you (them) out of riding in the dirt all together. I've
seen it happen many times when a kid's big-ego dad turns his young
beginner loose on one of these rockets instead of letting the kid
learn on a mellow four-stroke air-cooled trailie like a CRF80/100.

For a beginner, all the small MX bikes are pretty hard to ride, as
there is no torque down low (where a newby kid will tend to ride at
first), then there's a huge burst of power if he/she gets up into the
power band a bit and gets the shit scared out of him/herself. The poor
kid then loses interest in riding because his/her confidence gets
destroyed. He/she then notices all the kids riding the slow four-
stroke air-cooled trailies are riding circles around them.

Perhaps you should start an a slow used trail bike like an CRF100
first. Get some experience, *then* buy one of the little rocket ships
after you learn something about traction (or lack thereof) braking and
turning etc in the dirt. CRF100s are cheap, and they hold their value.

Good luck!
scrape
2008-04-11 23:57:30 UTC
Post by Tom
I would like to know which is the best for motocross? Which is the strongest
bike? Which is the best overall?
As simplistic as it sounds, go with what fits best and what dealer
you like the most. They're all good to the point of being a toss
up.

----
Go fast and aim for where the trees aren't.
----
JayC
2008-04-09 16:35:05 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
That's easy - the CR85. Red is always best, everybody knows
that...sheesh. OTOH, I don't think any of them are made anymore.

I don't know about the lesser brands, but brand new '06 or '07 CR85
leftovers were recently being blown out for under $2000. Keep that in
mind if you are buying late-model used.

JayC
Jeff Mayner
2008-04-09 17:41:01 UTC
Post by Tom
Which is the best out of;
Yamaha YZ85
Kawasaki KX85
Honda CR85
Suzuki RM85
Thanks
Tom
I hopped on my nephew's '03 Honda and was pretty impressed with it's ability
to cart my lardass around. It was the "Expert" model with the big wheels.

Never ridden the others.
dizzy
2008-04-10 02:49:19 UTC
Post by Jeff Mayner
I hopped on my nephew's '03 Honda and was pretty impressed with it's ability
to cart my lardass around. It was the "Expert" model with the big wheels.
Thank goodness. The ones with the smaller wheels are deathtraps. I
damn near killed myself trying to ride one out a ravine, a few years
back, while taking my KDX200 up the same hill was a walk in the park.