Soldier on motorcycle dies in collision
Andrew
2007-01-25 21:58:25 UTC
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
--
Andrew
00 Daytona
00 Speed Triple
71 Kawi H1
05 Toddler

Sent using Windows Mail version 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
BrianNZ
2007-01-25 22:20:46 UTC
.....I think MI5 did it......
Beav
2007-01-26 15:50:55 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
.....I think MI5 did it......
No chance. It was this

"State Patrol investigators reported Rogers was traveling at a high speed
southbound when he lost control trying to navigate a curve in the highway"

Not even a bloody CORNER, just a poxy curve.

Curves and American riders just aren't happy bedfellows.

And the article writer can't even spell travelling.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Paul Elliot
2007-01-26 16:14:51 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
.....I think MI5 did it......
No chance. It was this
"State Patrol investigators reported Rogers was traveling at a high speed
southbound when he lost control trying to navigate a curve in the highway"
Not even a bloody CORNER, just a poxy curve.
Curves and American riders just aren't happy bedfellows.
And the article writer can't even spell travelling.
Nah, we drop the extra "L" on this side of the pond.
--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart/albums/
Beav
2007-01-27 12:46:41 UTC
Post by Paul Elliot
Post by Beav
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
.....I think MI5 did it......
No chance. It was this
"State Patrol investigators reported Rogers was traveling at a high speed
southbound when he lost control trying to navigate a curve in the highway"
Not even a bloody CORNER, just a poxy curve.
Curves and American riders just aren't happy bedfellows.
And the article writer can't even spell travelling.
Nah, we drop the extra "L" on this side of the pond.
Apparently you drop bikes too, but is it RIGHT? :-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Keith Schiffner
2007-01-26 16:35:17 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
.....I think MI5 did it......
No chance. It was this
"State Patrol investigators reported Rogers was
traveling at a high speed southbound when he
lost control trying to navigate a curve in the
highway"
Not even a bloody CORNER, just a poxy curve.
Curves and American riders just aren't happy
bedfellows.
being as I is a po' (see can't even afford the or)
come on over to my part of montana for a little
putt... say Port of Piegan to Kalispell, MT
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
might take a jaunt down MT200 or maybe Going to
the Sun road? Lolo pass is just down the highway a
couple of hundred miles (an easy day ride)
Post by Beav
And the article writer can't even spell
travelling.
are you kidding most of us kant spiel "humour" and
grossly misspronounce "lever"
--
Keith Schiffner
History does not record anywhere at any time a
Robert Heinlein
Turby
2007-01-26 18:32:37 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:35:17 -0700, "Keith Schiffner"
Post by Keith Schiffner
come on over to my part of montana for a little
putt... say Port of Piegan to Kalispell, MT
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
Say what? That looks like Coffeyville, Kansas, to me.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Calgary
2007-01-26 22:54:09 UTC
Post by Keith Schiffner
Post by Beav
And the article writer can't even spell
travelling.
are you kidding most of us kant spiel "humour"
Hmmm, looks OK to me!

--

24 hours in a day
&

Coincidence?

I think not
Beav
2007-01-27 12:50:36 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
.....I think MI5 did it......
No chance. It was this
"State Patrol investigators reported Rogers was traveling at a high speed
southbound when he lost control trying to navigate a curve in the highway"
Not even a bloody CORNER, just a poxy curve.
Curves and American riders just aren't happy bedfellows.
being as I is a po' (see can't even afford the or) come on over to my part
of montana for a little putt... say Port of Piegan to Kalispell, MT
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q= might take a
jaunt down MT200 or maybe Going to the Sun road? Lolo pass is just down
the highway a couple of hundred miles (an easy day ride)
I got the map, but I couldn't see anything that would excite me. And no
women on the map either.
Post by Beav
And the article writer can't even spell travelling.
are you kidding most of us kant spiel "humour" and grossly misspronounce
"lever"
Many a true word :-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-01-28 05:38:15 UTC
Post by Keith Schiffner
putt... say Port of Piegan to Kalispell, MT
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
might take a jaunt down MT200 or maybe Going to
Here's a hint... When you get the view you want others to see, click the
"Link to this page" link in the top right corner... This changes the
address in yer browser to the actual address needed to see the view. Do
everyone a favor, however, and run that link through http://tinyurl.com
first and you'll end up with something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/yp88as
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Keith Schiffner
2007-01-28 06:06:27 UTC
Post by Stephen!
Post by Keith Schiffner
putt... say Port of Piegan to Kalispell, MT
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
might take a jaunt down MT200 or maybe Going to
Here's a hint... When you get the view you want
others to see, click the
"Link to this page" link in the top right
corner... This changes the
address in yer browser to the actual address
needed to see the view. Do
everyone a favor, however, and run that link
through http://tinyurl.com
first and you'll end up with something like
http://tinyurl.com/yp88as
<Smacks forehead with torque wrench>
Geez Louise! I know better than to do something
that stupid! Thanks for reminding me...feeling
stupider than usual.
Robert Heinlein
Stephen!
2007-01-28 18:24:39 UTC
Post by Keith Schiffner
Post by Stephen!
http://tinyurl.com/yp88as
<Smacks forehead with torque wrench>
Geez Louise! I know better than to do something
that stupid! Thanks for reminding me...feeling
stupider than usual.
No worries... It's been a crazy "winter". Although it looks like spring
might just be over at the end of this week. :(
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Chuck Rhode
2007-01-29 04:39:23 UTC
Stephen! wrote this on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:24:39 -0600. My reply is
below.
It's been a crazy "winter". Although it looks like spring might
just be over at the end of this week. :(
Imbolc (Groundhog Day), the midwinter festival halfway between
Halloween and the May, is this week. ... so ... Is the worst over?
--
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (Geraldine)
.. 9° — Wind W 6 mph
Stephen!
2007-01-31 01:29:41 UTC
Post by Chuck Rhode
It's been a crazy "winter". Although it looks like spring might
just be over at the end of this week. :(
Imbolc (Groundhog Day), the midwinter festival halfway between
Halloween and the May, is this week. ... so ... Is the worst over?
Not from what I saw going over Boulder Pass about 30 minutes ago...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Chuck Rhode
2007-01-31 14:48:16 UTC
Stephen! wrote this on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:29:41 -0600. My reply is
below.
Post by Stephen!
Post by Chuck Rhode
Imbolc (Groundhog Day), the midwinter festival halfway between
Halloween and the May, is this week. ... so ... Is the worst over?
Not from what I saw going over Boulder Pass about 30 minutes ago...
It's not Groundhog Day, yet.
.. 6° — Wind WSW 10 mph
Stephen!
2007-02-01 03:32:45 UTC
Post by Chuck Rhode
Post by Stephen!
Post by Chuck Rhode
Imbolc (Groundhog Day), the midwinter festival halfway between
Halloween and the May, is this week. ... so ... Is the worst over?
Not from what I saw going over Boulder Pass about 30 minutes ago...
It's not Groundhog Day, yet.
Only ended up with a couple inches on the ground in the Valley this
morning. I'm sure the ski areas got quite a bit more... We *REALLY*
need a *LOT* more snow around here. Otherwise the forest will be shut
down to recreation around the end of June because of the extreme fire
dangers...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Chuck Rhode
2007-02-01 07:23:23 UTC
Stephen! wrote this on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:32:45 -0600. My reply is
below.
We *REALLY* need a *LOT* more snow around here. Otherwise the
forest will be shut down to recreation around the end of June
because of the extreme fire dangers...
Coldest weather in a decade supposedly is headed this way Sat night.
.. 17° — Wind SW 16 mph — Sky overcast.
Stephen!
2007-02-02 02:00:55 UTC
Post by Chuck Rhode
We *REALLY* need a *LOT* more snow around here. Otherwise the
forest will be shut down to recreation around the end of June
because of the extreme fire dangers...
Coldest weather in a decade supposedly is headed this way Sat night.
Cold ain't what we need. We need some snowpack to replenish the
watershed. Until last night the hills around here were BARE of snow...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Jamin
2007-01-26 00:28:06 UTC
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
And WA State Patrol continues their speed enforcement crackdown:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003540252_speed25m0.html
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
BrianNZ
2007-01-26 00:37:28 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003540252_speed25m0.html
"Wednesday, a trooper dressed as a road worker sat in a green tractor in
the I-5 median near the Smokey Point rest stop and clocked cars using a
laser speed gun. Nearby, a queue of troopers pulled over offenders and
handed out tickets.

They'll be there again this morning, so be sure to slow down and wave.

Troopers say they don't necessarily want to hand out tickets or cause
grief but to send a message to drivers to slow down for the safety of
themselves, other drivers and road-construction workers. About a dozen
speeding drivers were pulled over in two hours Wednesday."

Classic, I'll dress up like a construction and sit on a tractor with a
speed gun and the message I'm trying to send is 'slow
down'......bollocks! They want $$$$$$.

A 'slow down' message would be to have marked cop cars everywhere.
Ben Kaufman
2007-01-26 01:26:30 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Jamin
Post by Andrew
[...]
Exactly. Just sit there with your lights on and most folks will get the message
clearly..... unless they're doing 160mph and by the time they see the lights
it's too late :-)

Ben
Jamin
2007-01-26 09:10:47 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
Classic, I'll dress up like a construction and sit on a tractor with a
speed gun and the message I'm trying to send is 'slow
down'......bollocks! They want $$$$$$.
A 'slow down' message would be to have marked cop cars everywhere.
My thought exactly. They want to charge us $500 each to personally deliver
the very important "slow down" message. That's how important the message is.
:)

How about a big fat billboard sign on the side of the road showing accident
stats for that stretch of highway and reminding people to slow down? Oh...
right... billboards can't write $500 tickets.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-26 15:56:46 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by BrianNZ
Classic, I'll dress up like a construction and sit on a tractor with a
speed gun and the message I'm trying to send is 'slow
down'......bollocks! They want $$$$$$.
A 'slow down' message would be to have marked cop cars everywhere.
My thought exactly. They want to charge us $500 each to personally deliver
the very important "slow down" message. That's how important the message is.
:)
How about a big fat billboard sign on the side of the road showing accident
stats for that stretch of highway and reminding people to slow down? Oh...
right... billboards can't write $500 tickets.
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Andrew
2007-01-26 16:47:29 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
Post by BrianNZ
Classic, I'll dress up like a construction and sit on a tractor with a
speed gun and the message I'm trying to send is 'slow
down'......bollocks! They want $$$$$$.
A 'slow down' message would be to have marked cop cars everywhere.
My thought exactly. They want to charge us $500 each to personally deliver
the very important "slow down" message. That's how important the message is.
:)
How about a big fat billboard sign on the side of the road showing accident
stats for that stretch of highway and reminding people to slow down? Oh...
right... billboards can't write $500 tickets.
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
Actually, the stretch of road on I-5 that they mention is very dangerous.
There are tons of wrecks up there.
They have those cable wire barriers along the divided highway, but for some
reason, cars go through them and run into traffic going the other way, or
they hit the barriers and flip their cars.

Beav
2007-01-27 12:51:44 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
Post by BrianNZ
[...]
In that case, they should do whatever it takes to slow traffic down.
Meanwhile, I'd find another fast route:)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Mike Young
2007-01-30 04:00:43 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Andrew
Actually, the stretch of road on I-5 that they mention is very dangerous.
There are tons of wrecks up there.
They have those cable wire barriers along the divided highway, but for
some reason, cars go through them and run into traffic going the other
way, or they hit the barriers and flip their cars.
In that case, they should do whatever it takes to slow traffic down.
It actually means the barriers are sub-standard, ineffective, and should be
replaced. Is that what the construction is?
Beav
2007-01-31 20:25:02 UTC
Post by Mike Young
Post by Beav
Post by Andrew
Actually, the stretch of road on I-5 that they mention is very dangerous.
There are tons of wrecks up there.
They have those cable wire barriers along the divided highway, but for
some reason, cars go through them and run into traffic going the other
way, or they hit the barriers and flip their cars.
In that case, they should do whatever it takes to slow traffic down.
It actually means the barriers are sub-standard, ineffective,
I suppose it depends on what they're there to do. If they're designed to
cheese-wire motorcyclists, I reckon they're VERY effective. I saw a lot of
them in Sweden this year and I have to say the frightened the shit out of
me. I slowed down for what, 10 minutes. It maight have been longer, but the
barriers ended and I was left to my own devices.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Turby
2007-01-26 18:36:41 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:56:46 GMT, "Beav"
Post by Beav
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
Statistically, the safest roads in America are Interstate freeways
(accidents/vehicle miles driven.) The highest legal speeds are also on
Interstate freeways.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Beav
2007-01-27 12:52:30 UTC
Post by Beav
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
Statistically, the safest roads in America are Interstate freeways
(accidents/vehicle miles driven.) The highest legal speeds are also on
Interstate freeways.
Same thing over here too. Motorways account for the smallest number of
accidents and deaths on the road, yet "speed kills"? Yeah, sure it does.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Jamin
2007-01-26 23:58:10 UTC
Post by Beav
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
I know of one personally, where a vehicle crossed the median and impacted an
oncoming vehicle, killing one of the occupants. It happened a few years ago.

That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-27 12:54:08 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Beav
And that stretch of road probably hasn't had any accidents worth reporting.
I know of one personally, where a vehicle crossed the median and impacted an
oncoming vehicle, killing one of the occupants. It happened a few years ago.
And what was the cause of the accident? Inattention, booze, a swift blow
job, what?
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Mike
2007-01-27 14:51:49 UTC
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:54:08 GMT, "Beav"
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak? How about "Nobody ever pays any attention to them"? Sounds a
little better right?

Regards

Mike

Go Bears!

Join the Minutemen.

http://www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

PETITION TO THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS & President Bush
to Stop Amnesty for Illegal Aliens.HIT THE LINK BELOW and fill out the form. Takes one minute or so.

http://www.citizenslobby.com/petitions.htm#gephardt
Jamin
2007-01-27 17:43:57 UTC
Post by Mike
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak? How about "Nobody ever pays any attention to them"? Sounds a
little better right?
Obviously you understood what he meant. What's the problem?
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-27 21:02:09 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Mike
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak? How about "Nobody ever pays any attention to them"? Sounds a
little better right?
Obviously you understood what he meant. What's the problem?
He's trying to be a pedant, but he'll have to look the word up in the
dictionary to TRULY know.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Jamin
2007-01-28 00:47:33 UTC
Post by Beav
He's trying to be a pedant, but he'll have to look the word up in the
dictionary to TRULY know.
I think it might just be the xenophobia talking.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-27 21:01:11 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak?
That, my colonial friend is PROPER English, that is, from England where we
speak it. Real English and it's a phrase that's been around since Adam was a
lad. Now if you were as olde as me, you'd know that, but it's obvious you're
not, so you're forgiven for your ignorance.

How about "Nobody ever pays any attention to them"? Sounds a
Post by Mike
little better right?
How about that? Sounds about as anal as I'd expect it to.
Post by Mike
Go Bears!
Go Bears? What kind of English is that? Wouldn't it be better if you
shouted "Go out and win this game please"?
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Mike
2007-01-28 01:08:28 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak?
That, my colonial friend is PROPER English, that is, from England where we
speak it. Real English and it's a phrase that's been around since Adam was a
lad. Now if you were as olde as me, you'd know that, but it's obvious you're
not, so you're forgiven for your ignorance.
Ever hear of Wishbone ash? A very good English band. I am old enough
to remember them.
Post by Mike
little better right?
How about that? Sounds about as anal as I'd expect it to.
LOL! I just like giving you English guys a hardtime about how you
decimated the English language. All in fun. My mothers side of the
family is from England so I am not all bad.:-)
Post by Beav
Post by Mike
Go Bears!
Go Bears? What kind of English is that? Wouldn't it be better if you
shouted "Go out and win this game please"?
With the Bears you don't have to say "Please " for them to win games.
They just win because they enjoy winning. We normal American folks
enjoy watching the Bears win games.:-) In the states there is a very
bad team called the "Packers". They have very strange fans that drink
lots of beer and moon opposing teams players after which they continue
drinking more beer and eating a half dozen brats. Oh i would like to
add they drink cheap beer as well. You think they would drink Bass ale
or Newcastle? Nope. They have no taste in beer or football teams.
People wonder why us good people from Illinois refer to them as
Cheesheads.:-)

Chuck Rhode
2007-01-28 03:18:10 UTC
Mike wrote this on Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:08:28 -0600. My reply is below.
In the states there is a very bad team called the "Packers". They
have very strange fans that drink lots of beer and moon opposing
teams players after which they continue drinking more beer and
eating a half dozen brats. Oh i would like to add they drink cheap
beer as well.
Ho-o-Old on there, bubba! Your misapprehension of the price of
potables in Wisconsin is as misbegotten as your grasp of recent
events. We do so NOT drink cheap beer:

o http://tinyurl.com/24cclt links to
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDER-BRAU-1995-PACKER-BACKER-BRAU_W0QQitemZ180077444203QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ordinarily I would refrain from posting a current eBay listing here,
but I have no compunction about doing it to make a point: 1995 was a
VERY good year! BTW you still have time to place a bid on this item.
.. 24° — Wind W 7 mph — Sky overcast.
Beav
2007-01-28 19:57:03 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
A blind bit of notice of them? What the heck kind of English do you
speak?
That, my colonial friend is PROPER English, that is, from England where we
speak it. Real English and it's a phrase that's been around since Adam was a
lad. Now if you were as olde as me, you'd know that, but it's obvious you're
not, so you're forgiven for your ignorance.
Ever hear of Wishbone ash?
Hear of them? I fathered two of them :)

A very good English band. I am old enough
Post by Mike
to remember them.
I'm old enough to remember their forefathers. You, you're just a sprog:)
Post by Mike
little better right?
How about that? Sounds about as anal as I'd expect it to.
LOL! I just like giving you English guys a hardtime about how you
decimated the English language.
I could be wrong, but do I sense an attempt at irony? (Not 'Merkin thing, I
grant you:-)

Post by Mike
family is from England so I am not all bad.:-)
My mother's side was Frog, but at least she shaved her armpits, making
things not all bad here too:)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19.
Jamin
2007-01-27 17:40:58 UTC
Post by Beav
And what was the cause of the accident? Inattention, booze, a swift blow
job, what?
I'm not sure. The other driver "lost control" of her vehicle and crossed the
median. Could have been inattention. It wasn't booze, as far as the news
reports said.
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
I know when I drive that bit of I-5 where the limit goes up from 60 to 70
mph, I usually speed up. Usually I'm already exceeding the limit a bit along
with other traffic. Coming the other direction, I slow down. I'm usually
exceeding the limit in either case anyway, though, so it's all relative.

My point is only that the police are probably making extra $$ on their
tickets by getting people who speed up prematurely going north or fail to
slow down heading south. It's a common tactic for speed traps here, because,
like you said, people don't pay much notice to posted limits.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Venture Rider
2007-01-27 18:33:24 UTC
Post by Jamin
people don't pay much notice to posted limits.
It's not rocket science, you know.
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman
Beav
2007-01-27 21:07:24 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Beav
And what was the cause of the accident? Inattention, booze, a swift blow
job, what?
I'm not sure. The other driver "lost control" of her vehicle and crossed the
median. Could have been inattention. It wasn't booze, as far as the news
reports said.
You did find the cause though. It said "her" vehicle and that's enough for
me :-)
Post by Jamin
Post by Beav
Post by Jamin
That stretch of road also has a higher posted limit as you head north, going
from 60 mph to 70 mph.
Posted limits mean nothing. No-one takes a blind bit of notice of them. Well
no-one *I* know anyway :-)
I know when I drive that bit of I-5 where the limit goes up from 60 to 70
mph, I usually speed up. Usually I'm already exceeding the limit a bit along
with other traffic. Coming the other direction, I slow down. I'm usually
exceeding the limit in either case anyway, though, so it's all relative.
Persasckerly. Most people drive/ride at a speed they're comfortable with and
it's usually above the posted.
Post by Jamin
My point is only that the police are probably making extra $$ on their
tickets by getting people who speed up prematurely going north or fail to
slow down heading south. It's a common tactic for speed traps here, because,
like you said, people don't pay much notice to posted limits.
Take heart in the knowledge that it's pretty common practice here too.

I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's. It (the GPS) shows my true speed
and the local limit, plus where the camera's are, so I don't need to spend
time looking for camera's, thus allowing me to concentrate on riding REALLY
quickly where there are none :-))
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Turby
2007-01-27 21:40:16 UTC
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:07:24 GMT, "Beav"
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's.
Woah! Did you program that, or did it come with the GPS? (How can I
get one?)
Turby the Turbosurfer
Beav
2007-01-28 20:04:48 UTC
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's.
Woah! Did you program that, or did it come with the GPS?
It comes as standard with the Tom Tom sets (most, if not all). They're
downladable too (for the UK and it's close neighbours) so I imagine if
there are speed cams in the US, Tom Tom will have it covered.

(How can I
Post by Turby
get one?)
Get on your bike and ride to one of those electronicy places wot sell things
like satnavs. GPS doobries or even cell phones. Swot I did, but I've heard
they can be bought on the interwebby thing too:-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Ted Mittelstaedt
2007-01-29 10:38:21 UTC
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's.
Woah! Did you program that, or did it come with the GPS?
It comes as standard with the Tom Tom sets (most, if not all). They're
downladable too (for the UK and it's close neighbours) so I imagine if
there are speed cams in the US, Tom Tom will have it covered.
In which case all a police dept. with any brains has to do is buy the
program, see where it thinks all the speed cameras are, then the
cops just go set cameras up at locations the GPS thinks are clean, and
bang they caught you.

Ted
Beav
2007-01-31 20:32:22 UTC
Post by Ted Mittelstaedt
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's.
Woah! Did you program that, or did it come with the GPS?
It comes as standard with the Tom Tom sets (most, if not all). They're
downladable too (for the UK and it's close neighbours) so I imagine if
there are speed cams in the US, Tom Tom will have it covered.
In which case all a police dept. with any brains has to do is buy the
program, see where it thinks all the speed cameras are, then the
cops just go set cameras up at locations the GPS thinks are clean, and
bang they caught you.
These are fixed camera's and over here and movong them isn't a simple mater.
Theyre hard wired to contact strips buried underground. There's an upside
though, coz we HAVE to be nformed of their presence by law.

This is usually in the form of a sign (a crossed out camera, sort of thing)
but of course, the signs aren't big, or plentiful and they're easy to miss.
However, the camera's have to be highly visible so they're bright yellow,
which makes me wonder how the fuck ANYONE ever gets "camera'd".

Our "mobile" camera operators don't need to advertise their presence though,
but location is all important if you want to swell the coffers, so the same
locations are used pretty regularly. This makes the mobile's pretty easy to
"ride around" or even through, because if you know they're likely to be a
location X, you either ride through at the posted limit or ride another
route. They still (all the camera's ) managed to claw 114 million quid (2
million offences) in fines last year, so there are still a lot of blind and
stupid drivers/riders out there. Probably wimmin:-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Jamin
2007-01-28 00:55:00 UTC
Post by Beav
You did find the cause though. It said "her" vehicle and that's enough for
me :-)
She was also quite young, if I recall correctly. I suspect inattention.
Probably trying to make a phone call and drink a latte while driving 80 mph,
steering with her knee.
Post by Beav
Take heart in the knowledge that it's pretty common practice here too.
That's depressing. You guys have it worse, actually, with all the speed
cameras. For the most part we don't have robots issuing us citations in the
US. We do have a growing number of cities using traffic light cameras to
cite drivers for running red lights, which I'm all in favor of.
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's. It (the GPS) shows my true speed
and the local limit, plus where the camera's are, so I don't need to spend
time looking for camera's, thus allowing me to concentrate on riding REALLY
quickly where there are none :-))
I've read about those. Radar and laser detectors are illegal in England,
right? So rather than detect the radar/laser signals, just use GPS to alert
the rider when he's approaching a known speed camera location. Ingenious.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Chuck Rhode
2007-01-28 02:47:12 UTC
Jamin wrote this on Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:55:00 -0800. My reply is
below.
Post by Jamin
We do have a growing number of cities using traffic light cameras to
cite drivers for running red lights, which I'm all in favor of.
I don't often make reading assignments :-) but I think you need to
pore over this. Hopefully, it will change your mind about the
benignity of gatzos:

o Armey, Dick. _The Red Light Running Crisis: Is it Intentional?_ May
2001. theNewspaper.com. 27 Jan. 2007
<http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/reports/rlcreport.asp>.
.. 24° — Wind W 7 mph — Sky overcast.
Jamin
2007-01-28 09:02:50 UTC
Post by Chuck Rhode
I don't often make reading assignments :-) but I think you need to
pore over this. Hopefully, it will change your mind about the
Well, yeah. I'd read that some time ago, or a similar article. All I know is
that I never seem to have a problem stopping for yellow lights, however I
frequently get people running across the intersection or turning left in
front of me a second or two after my light has turned green.

I don't dispute the claims of the article. Longer yellows would probably
solve the safety problem for the most part.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Chuck Rhode
2007-01-28 15:28:06 UTC
Jamin wrote this on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:02:50 -0800. My reply is
below.
All I know is that I never seem to have a problem stopping for
yellow lights, however I frequently get people running across the
intersection or turning left in front of me a second or two after my
light has turned green.
I don't dispute the claims of the article. Longer yellows would
probably solve the safety problem for the most part.
Yeah, when there was no all-way red clearance interval, when yellow
lasted all the way up to cross-traffic going green, you knew what the
caution light meant: You'd better stop now! Recently, however, cage
drivers have become conditioned to running signalized intersections,
relying on the clearance interval to protect them. Trouble is: The
clearance interval varies a lot from intersection to intersection and
from town to town. Probably the assholes who run lights don't even
realize they're violating cross-traffic's green a lot of the time.
Now, we could install cameras to catch them, and we could haul them
out of bed in the middle of the night and ship them off to Gitmo, but
there is a cheaper solution that doesn't require cameras. The way out
of this situation is counter-intuitive: Signal them in no uncertain
terms that entering an intersection is unsafe. Eliminate the all-way
red clearance interval.
.. 16° — Wind NNW 12 mph — Sky overcast. Light snow; mist.
Stephen!
2007-01-28 18:26:31 UTC
Post by Jamin
Well, yeah. I'd read that some time ago, or a similar article. All I
know is that I never seem to have a problem stopping for yellow
lights, however I frequently get people running across the
intersection or turning left in front of me a second or two after my
light has turned green.
If "a second or two" bothers you, don't go to Guam. While I was there I
had several opportunities to sit through green lights until they turned
red again because of all the cross-traffic folks who were obviously
thinking, "If he doesn't stop, neither will I."
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Beav
2007-01-28 20:25:09 UTC
Post by Jamin
We do have a growing number of cities using traffic light cameras to
cite drivers for running red lights, which I'm all in favor of.
I don't often make reading assignments :-) but I think you need to
pore over this. Hopefully, it will change your mind about the
There's nothing benign about Gatso's, but if the red light cams make people
just *that* much more aware that they're likely to get a ticket and stop,
they're useful (ish). They were trialled over here and in lots of places,
red ight jumping dropped right off.

I still don't LIKE 'em, but I can live with 'em, but changing the yellow
light time didn't happen and to be truthful, if you can't stop when the
yellow is lit, you're going too fast for the conditions.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Turby
2007-01-29 19:08:43 UTC
Post by Jamin
We do have a growing number of cities using traffic light cameras to
cite drivers for running red lights, which I'm all in favor of.
I don't often make reading assignments :-) but I think you need to
pore over this. Hopefully, it will change your mind about the
o Armey, Dick. _The Red Light Running Crisis: Is it Intentional?_ May
2001. theNewspaper.com. 27 Jan. 2007
<http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/reports/rlcreport.asp>.
San Diego installed a bunch a few years ago. A couple of years later,
they had to throw out all the tickets because the private company that
installed them (& ran the ticketing process,) had changed the
effective yellow light time. After some time, the city redid the
contract with greater control over the process and the money
collected. (There was another legal issue over a private company
making a profit off ticketees.) AFAIK, the city is still using them,
and moving forward with installing more, but the last one I saw didn't
seem to be working. Half a dozen idiots ran the light with no flashes.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Beav
2007-01-28 20:12:54 UTC
Post by Beav
Take heart in the knowledge that it's pretty common practice here too.
That's depressing. You guys have it worse, actually, with all the speed
cameras. For the most part we don't have robots issuing us citations in the
US. We do have a growing number of cities using traffic light cameras to
cite drivers for running red lights, which I'm all in favor of.
And me. The speed cam thing has been blown out of proportion though and its
upside is rarely, if ever, mentioned. The #1 upside is the reduction in
traffic plods riding around or sitting behind billboards with a radar gun in
their mits, so if you know where the cams are, it's basically a "any speed
you ant" goes rule. The #2 upside is, it's easy to find all the cams either
on line or on the GPS systems we (can) use.
Post by Jamin
Post by Beav
I got a GPS recently, not because I need to find my way around, but because
it's got EVERY fixed speed camera's position logged and even includes sites
which have been used for mobile camera's. It (the GPS) shows my true speed
and the local limit, plus where the camera's are, so I don't need to spend
time looking for camera's, thus allowing me to concentrate on riding REALLY
quickly where there are none :-))
I've read about those. Radar and laser detectors are illegal in England,
right?
Ish. Meaning some are and some aren't and no-one really knows which ones are
and which ones aren't, so they're used in HUGE numbers. Detectors are
illegal, but devices which store camera locations aren't, but I have a
"Snooper" which "listens" for the mobile cams that I can't be sure will
"playing out" if I trust solely to the GPS .

Post by Jamin
the rider when he's approaching a known speed camera location. Ingenious.
Unless you're in Spain. You can't use GPS in Spain for that reason and it's
actually illegal to even OWN a GPS, so if plod find one in your possession,
even if it's still shrink wrapped in the store film, they confiscate it,
destroy it and fine you. Bollocks to that eh?
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Jamin
2007-01-28 21:21:04 UTC
Post by Beav
Unless you're in Spain. You can't use GPS in Spain for that reason and it's
actually illegal to even OWN a GPS, so if plod find one in your possession,
even if it's still shrink wrapped in the store film, they confiscate it,
destroy it and fine you. Bollocks to that eh?
No expects the Spanish to confiscate the GPS.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Stephen!
2007-01-28 05:49:11 UTC
Post by Jamin
It's a common tactic for speed traps here, because,
like you said, people don't pay much notice to posted limits.
It isn't a "trap". The zones are *WELL* marked. There are even
warning signs telling you idiots in advance that the limit is about to
change. Calling it a "trap" only exposes your penchant for playing the
role of a "victim".
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Jamin
2007-01-28 09:17:49 UTC
Post by Stephen!
It isn't a "trap". The zones are *WELL* marked. There are even
warning signs telling you idiots in advance that the limit is about to
change. Calling it a "trap" only exposes your penchant for playing the
role of a "victim".
And you have a penchant for being an asshole. If I could reach out and smack
you upside the head right now, I would. Just hard enough to make you yelp
"penchant".

"Speed trap" is common vernacular. I wasn't whining about anything, just
using common speech.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Stephen!
2007-01-28 18:29:15 UTC
Post by Jamin
And you have a penchant for being an asshole.
You catch on quickly.
Post by Jamin
If I could reach out and smack you upside the head right now, I would.
Wow... An empty threat from an anonymous prick... I promise you if you
tried that you would be drawing back a bloody stump. Just before yer
lights went out.
Post by Jamin
"Speed trap" is common vernacular. I wasn't whining about anything,
just using common speech.
Common amongst the sniveling "victim" set...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Jamin
2007-01-28 19:46:24 UTC
Post by Stephen!
Wow... An empty threat from an anonymous prick... I promise you if you
tried that you would be drawing back a bloody stump. Just before yer
lights went out.
Sure, sure... your internet persona is at least as tough as mine. I say
"smack upside the head" and "yelp", and you counter with "bloody stump" and
"lights out". Very dramatic. Must be one of those internet ninjas I've heard
about.
Post by Stephen!
Post by Jamin
"Speed trap" is common vernacular. I wasn't whining about anything,
just using common speech.
Common amongst the sniveling "victim" set...
"Sniveling victim"... that's a good one. You deduced that from my use of the
term "speed trap". So not only are you an internet ninja, you're also an
internet linguist and internet psychologist.

If there's a more appropriate, concise term than "speed trap" to describe
that particular police activity, I haven't heard it.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-28 23:05:59 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Stephen!
Wow... An empty threat from an anonymous prick... I promise you if you
tried that you would be drawing back a bloody stump. Just before yer
lights went out.
Sure, sure... your internet persona is at least as tough as mine. I say
"smack upside the head" and "yelp", and you counter with "bloody stump" and
"lights out". Very dramatic. Must be one of those internet ninjas I've heard
about.
Ok, Ok, so let##s get to the important stuff. Who's dad's the biggest?
Post by Jamin
Post by Stephen!
Post by Jamin
"Speed trap" is common vernacular. I wasn't whining about anything,
just using common speech.
Common amongst the sniveling "victim" set...
"Sniveling victim"... that's a good one. You deduced that from my use of the
term "speed trap". So not only are you an internet ninja, you're also an
internet linguist and internet psychologist.
I'm a cunningliguist, if that's any help/
Post by Jamin
If there's a more appropriate, concise term than "speed trap" to describe
that particular police activity, I haven't heard it.
"Accident blackspot", "Safety camera area", "Traffic calming region". All
been used over here at some point.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-01-29 01:24:31 UTC
Post by Jamin
If there's a more appropriate, concise term than "speed trap" to describe
that particular police activity, I haven't heard it.
It's called "Law Enforcement", retard.
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Jamin
2007-01-29 02:47:41 UTC
Post by Stephen!
It's called "Law Enforcement", retard.
Retard, eh? That's a good one. Haven't heard it for a long time. Were you on
the debate team in school? Or maybe still are??

But back to what we were discussing. I say the proper term is "speed trap".
You say it's "law enforcement". While I agree that speed traps ARE a form of
law enforcement, that's too vague a term to concisely describe the specific
type of law enforcement. Surely you must have something better than that.

It's okay, I understand that you've painted yourself into a corner on this
one, giving me crap for using "speed trap" in the first place. And now
you've come to realize what the rest of us have known from the start, that
you don't actually have a legitimate argument.

Or maybe you misunderstood from the start. Maybe you thought I didn't
believe speed traps were a form of law enforcement, that they were instead
some type of scam endorsed by the government. If that's what you thought, it
would help explain your responses thus far: you telling me I'm playing a
"victim" role (victim of the scam); you telling me that it's called "law
enforcement".

Of course it's law enforcement. And of course the police have a duty to
enforce the law. I still think it's a shakedown racket, and I don't think
speed enforcement is the best way to make our roads safer. Traffic cops
should be cracking down on reckless and dangerous drivers, regardless of
speed. Writing speeding tickets is simply the easiest way for traffic cops
to enforce any of the traffic laws. They can sit there with a radar gun and
issue citations all day long. Does it make anyone safer? I truly doubt it.
Look up what happened in Montana after they imposed the national speed limit
and began enforcing it. Fatalities and accident rates went up, not down.

So yes, it is legitimate law enforcement, according to current laws, but
it's not an effective way to make highway travel safer.

Not a bad argument for a retard, eh?
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Stephen!
2007-01-31 01:31:45 UTC
Post by Jamin
Not a bad argument for a retard, eh?
The retarded part was that you thought I'd actually waste my time reading
your crap... Nice try, however. I hope you didn't waste too much of your
pitiful life typing all that.
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Jamin
2007-01-31 19:46:55 UTC
Post by Stephen!
Post by Jamin
Not a bad argument for a retard, eh?
The retarded part was that you thought I'd actually waste my time reading
your crap... Nice try, however. I hope you didn't waste too much of your
pitiful life typing all that.
Translation: "I was full of crap and now don't have anything substantial to
say, so I'll just mock you instead."

I give you points for consistency, Stephen.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-31 20:34:19 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Stephen!
Post by Jamin
Not a bad argument for a retard, eh?
The retarded part was that you thought I'd actually waste my time reading
your crap... Nice try, however. I hope you didn't waste too much of your
pitiful life typing all that.
Translation: "I was full of crap and now don't have anything substantial to
say, so I'll just mock you instead."
I give you points for consistency, Stephen.
How much for originality?
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Jamin
2007-02-01 00:20:24 UTC
Post by Beav
How much for originality?
10/100
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-26 15:55:26 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
Post by Jamin
Post by Andrew
[...]
And this shite about speed being the major killer is more bollocks. The
biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where they're
going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell phone.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Keith Schiffner
2007-01-26 16:38:13 UTC
snip
Post by Beav
And this shite about speed being the major
killer is more bollocks. The biggest cause of
deaths on the road is twats who don't look where
they're going and who spend half their journey
on the fucking cell phone.
So Beav how does it preach to the choir? I've said
this for almost a quarter century..."speed doesn't
kill not paying attention to the situation kills"
So care to join the club? We've got jackets!
Robert Heinlein
Beav
2007-01-27 12:56:12 UTC
snip
Post by Beav
And this shite about speed being the major killer is more bollocks. The
biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where they're
going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell phone.
So Beav how does it preach to the choir? I've said this for almost a
quarter century..."speed doesn't kill not paying attention to the
situation kills" So care to join the club? We've got jackets!
Only a quarter of century? I've said that since 1963, so that make me the
winner:-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Keith Schiffner
2007-02-01 04:41:12 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Keith Schiffner
snip
Post by Beav
And this shite about speed being the major
killer is more bollocks. The biggest cause of
deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their
journey on the fucking cell phone.
So Beav how does it preach to the choir? I've
said this for almost a quarter century..."speed
doesn't kill not paying attention to the
situation kills" So care to join the club?
We've got jackets!
Only a quarter of century? I've said that since
1963, so that make me the winner:-)
Nope the venerable retired grand Pooh-Bah. "woobah
woobah ack phtttttp ack woobah"\
<makes ritual sign of obsequies adolescent>
Robert Heinlein
Turby
2007-01-26 18:29:11 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:55:26 GMT, "Beav"
Post by Beav
And this shite about speed being the major killer is more bollocks. The
biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where they're
going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell phone.
Yebbut...a CHP officer made the argument over lunch one day that _all_
collisions can be attributed to excessive speed. It doesn't matter if
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Beav
2007-01-27 12:59:03 UTC
Post by Beav
And this shite about speed being the major killer is more bollocks. The
biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where they're
going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell phone.
Yebbut...a CHP officer made the argument over lunch one day that _all_
collisions can be attributed to excessive speed.
But it's not an argument, coz it cn't really be argud against. It'd make
life really interesting if we all stood on one spot for all our lives
though. Mmm.. maybe not.

It doesn't matter if
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Turby
2007-01-27 17:23:43 UTC
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
In a way, but the man on the street still decides which laws to
enforce. I've never seen one make a stop for straying out of the lane.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Beav
2007-01-27 21:09:15 UTC
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
In a way, but the man on the street still decides which laws to
enforce. I've never seen one make a stop for straying out of the lane.
Can you filter (lane split) in your state Turb? I can't conceive of NOT
being able to do that, yet I know there are states over there where it's
illegal. Whoever decided tthat, should be fucking well hung (probably is
because he'd need big balls:-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Turby
2007-01-27 21:37:53 UTC
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
In a way, but the man on the street still decides which laws to
enforce. I've never seen one make a stop for straying out of the lane.
Can you filter (lane split) in your state Turb?
Yes, thank Ged. I do it every day. But I did get a warning from a
motocop a couple of months ago. An "unsafe maneuver" he called it.
There were two cars stopped side-by-side on a city street, and I split
them. He gave me a warning, but ignored the loon on the left who was
impeding traffic for no reason. (Don'tcha just love the idiots who see
someone in the next lane slow down, and think they should, too, even
when there's no cause? "Oh, she's slowing down to dial her phone, I'd
better slow down, too.")
Post by Beav
I can't conceive of NOT
being able to do that, yet I know there are states over there where it's
illegal. Whoever decided tthat, should be fucking well hung (probably is
because he'd need big balls:-)
Yeah. I dread riding in some big eastern city at rush hour. I don't
know how riders back there put up with it.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Jamin
2007-01-28 00:58:56 UTC
Post by Turby
Post by Beav
I can't conceive of NOT
being able to do that, yet I know there are states over there where it's
illegal. Whoever decided tthat, should be fucking well hung (probably is
because he'd need big balls:-)
Yeah. I dread riding in some big eastern city at rush hour. I don't
know how riders back there put up with it.
To my knowledge, of the 50 states in the US, only California allows riders
to split lanes. Everywhere else you run the risk of a citation. I still do
it on occasion, and haven't been ticketed or even warned yet. There are
groups in my state (Washington) trying to revise the law to allow lane
splitting by motorcycles, but so far they haven't succeeded.
--
Jamin
"I don't want a pickle..."
Beav
2007-01-28 23:16:01 UTC
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
In a way, but the man on the street still decides which laws to
enforce. I've never seen one make a stop for straying out of the lane.
Can you filter (lane split) in your state Turb?
Yes, thank Ged. I do it every day. But I did get a warning from a
motocop a couple of months ago. An "unsafe maneuver" he called it.
While it's perfectly legal to filter over here, that's an "excuse" being
used more and more, but then there's filtering and filtering. If the
filtering is done at a slow speed through even slower traffic, no big
problem, but if a biker filters up the inside of a cage moving quickly, it's
called undertaking and in between is where plod will pull you and give you a
verbal kicking.

It has to be said though that some people filter like their house is on fire
and they've got to save the family jewels.
Post by Turby
There were two cars stopped side-by-side on a city street, and I split
them. He gave me a warning, but ignored the loon on the left who was
impeding traffic for no reason.
That wouldn't raise plods eyebrows over here. The rider would have to have
been doing something REALLY stupid to get pulled for going between two
stopped cars.

Post by Turby
someone in the next lane slow down, and think they should, too, even
when there's no cause? "Oh, she's slowing down to dial her phone, I'd
better slow down, too.")
Oh yeah, and the numbers are increasing. I love speed, but there are places
I never exceed the ,imit (residential area's, small rural villages etc) but
we have lots of drivers who don't get CLOSE t the limit and there's usually
a line of traffic behind them streching back to the middle of last week ffs.
We also have roads with the NSL (National Speed Limit) sign, so you can
drive at either 60 or 70mph (depending on lane numbers) but if they come up
to a 40 mph driver, they sit at 40 too. I think they've forgotten how to
overtake.
Post by Turby
Post by Beav
I can't conceive of NOT
being able to do that, yet I know there are states over there where it's
illegal. Whoever decided tthat, should be fucking well hung (probably is
because he'd need big balls:-)
Yeah. I dread riding in some big eastern city at rush hour. I don't
know how riders back there put up with it.
What you need is a shit load of speed camera's and a massive reduction of
plod on the street:-) Oh, and a GPS showing all the camera locations, of
course.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Alan Moore
2007-01-28 03:17:19 UTC
Post by Turby
the person was reading a book, picking up something off the floor of
their car, or in the middle of a heart attack, if the vehicle wasn't
going as fast as it was, the collision wouldn't have happened. When
you're arguing with that sort of obtuseness, all you can do is throw
up your hands. But they are the authority who decides.
No they isn't. It's the law MAKERS who decide, not plod on the street. He's
just the "Frank Nitty" of the law makers. Just as big a twat, too.
In a way, but the man on the street still decides which laws to
enforce. I've never seen one make a stop for straying out of the lane.
I have. It's the usual marker for identifying DUI, for one thing.

One occasion that stays with me is a time when I didn't need another
ticket, but was coming home late. I was crossing the Bay Bridge,
Westbound, about 2:00 AM. There was a car ahead of me to my right,
another behind me to my left, all of us doing about 80 (Speed limit
55), no other traffic in sight. We crossed the bridge in that
formation. Approaching the SF end, the guy ahead of me drifted
slightly to his left, and recovered on touching the botts dots. The
guy behind me pulled him over.

Al Moore
DoD 734
Stephen!
2007-01-28 05:51:59 UTC
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where
they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell
phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
TroytheTroll
2007-01-28 16:02:13 UTC
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where
they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell
phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I always thought alcohol was wrapped up in fatalities, if you included that
it might be a good number. But distracted drivers aren't involved in as many
fatalities as drunks are, I'll bet.

Idiot cell phoners are mostly just involved in accidents I have no doubt,
but the big offenders who actually are killing people are usually drunk.
Beav
2007-01-28 23:16:50 UTC
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look where
they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking cell
phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal research
assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what you're looking for.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-01-29 01:26:00 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking
cell phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal
research assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what you're
looking for.
In other words you pulled that statement out of your ass and have'nt got
the balls to back it up... Gotcha.
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Ted Mittelstaedt
2007-01-29 10:58:41 UTC
Post by Stephen!
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking
cell phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal
research assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what you're
looking for.
In other words you pulled that statement out of your ass and have'nt got
the balls to back it up... Gotcha.
And you pulled the statement that drunks -aren't- the biggest cause of
deaths on the road out of -your- ass and don't have the balls to back it
up either.

In actuality, 20% of fatalities are directly caused by drunk drivers.
(http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrinkingAndDriving.html)

close to 40% of traffic fatalities are alcohol-related (meaning someone
involved, not
necessairly the driver, was drunk)
((http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html)

Considering the penaltities I think it's extremely safe to say the vast
majority
of fatality hit-and runs are committed by drunk drivers. Since they cannot
record the
fact alcohol was related when the driver flees, (even if he turns himself in
a day later) those aren't going to be reported as alcohol-related.

I think it's probably safe to say that as a result, drunk driving fatalities
are
-underreported- and the reality is much more like 50% - that is, in fully
half
of the traffic deaths on the road , the accident was caused by drunkeness.

There does not appear to be any other single cause of traffic fatalities
that
is as large as alcohol.

Ted
Stephen!
2007-01-31 01:35:07 UTC
Post by Ted Mittelstaedt
Post by Stephen!
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their journey on the
fucking cell phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal
research assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what
you're looking for.
In other words you pulled that statement out of your ass and have'nt
got the balls to back it up... Gotcha.
And you pulled the statement that drunks -aren't- the biggest cause
of deaths on the road out of -your- ass and don't have the balls to
back it up either.
Whoa whoa whoa.. You need to go back and read that again... I said *NO*
such thing... (I've left the thread intact above so you can see how wrong
you are in what you *THINK* I said.) Read the first three lines above
*VERY* carefully and then try to point our where anything was said about
"drunks"...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Beav
2007-01-31 20:35:47 UTC
Post by Ted Mittelstaedt
Post by Stephen!
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking
cell phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal
research assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what you're
looking for.
In other words you pulled that statement out of your ass and have'nt got
the balls to back it up... Gotcha.
And you pulled the statement that drunks -aren't- the biggest cause of
deaths on the road out of -your- ass and don't have the balls to back it
up either.
I don't know why you bothered Ted. Trolls like this Stephen dude aren't
worth th effort.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-02-01 03:34:29 UTC
Post by Beav
I don't know why you bothered Ted. Trolls like this Stephen dude aren't
worth th effort.
Just when I was thinking you might be an alright kinda guy you go and turn
into a cunt... Nice move, cunt.
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Beav
2007-02-01 20:57:20 UTC
Post by Beav
I don't know why you bothered Ted. Trolls like this Stephen dude aren't
worth th effort.
Just when I was thinking you might be an alright kinda guy you go and turn
into a cunt... Nice move, cunt.
EXCELLENT. None of this pussyfooting around with reason or argument, but
straight for the throat with a "cunt".

I like you for that :-)
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-02-02 01:43:48 UTC
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
Just when I was thinking you might be an alright kinda guy you go and
turn into a cunt... Nice move, cunt.
EXCELLENT. None of this pussyfooting around with reason or argument,
but straight for the throat with a "cunt".
Hehe... It was something I knew you'd understand and fit pretty well in
this case.
Post by Beav
I like you for that :-)
I've never been know to hold back nor pussyfoot around. That makes it
hard for most people to like me from the git-go... Those that do stick
around long enough usually become life-long friends... It may put a
"limit" on the number of folks I can truly call a friend, but it does let
me know where folks *really* stand...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Beav
2007-01-31 20:34:53 UTC
Post by Stephen!
Post by Beav
Post by Stephen!
The biggest cause of deaths on the road is twats who don't look
where they're going and who spend half their journey on the fucking
cell phone.
I suppose you have statistical proof of that statement...
I suppose I have, but what do you want me to be, your personal
research assistant? Do some homework and you'll soon see what you're
looking for.
In other words you pulled that statement out of your ass and have'nt got
the balls to back it up... Gotcha.
Yawn
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Stephen!
2007-01-28 05:41:18 UTC
Post by BrianNZ
A 'slow down' message would be to have marked cop cars everywhere.
The problem with that plan is it only slows folks down till they're out
of range. By playing fucky-fucky and hiding the coppers in every-day
situations, after a while the "regulars" don't know if that's just a
utility worker up there or another copper in hiding...
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
BryanUT
2007-01-26 01:05:22 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003540252_speed25m0.html
As does Utah, in this case a "good thing":

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5082595

"The crash tally, which topped more than 100 incidents Sunday and Monday,
was whittled down to a single-car accident during Wednesday's morning
commute - a triumph for police and road workers alike."

Bryan
Turby
2007-01-26 08:11:00 UTC
Post by BryanUT
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5082595
I would read the article, but the text is covered up by a ridiculous
ad for some movie, with no "close" button. Friggin idjits.
Turby the Turbosurfer
BryanUT
2007-01-26 01:07:44 UTC
Post by Jamin
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003540252_speed25m0.html
--
And some good news. I can't believe they did something right:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5085897

Bill to prohibit traffic-ticket quotas out of committee.

Bryan
Bruce Richmond
2007-01-26 02:12:43 UTC
Post by BryanUT
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003540252_speed25m0....
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5085897
Bill to prohibit traffic-ticket quotas out of committee.
Bryan
Recently read that the state police of New Hampshire credited increased
speed enforcement for a large decrease in the fatality rate for the
past year. (Not that reduced miles driven due to high gas prices could
have anything to do with it ;)

A few days later I read that the Vermont state police credited
increased speed enforcement for preventing the substantial increase in
fatalities from being even higher. Make you wonder if they ever tried
backing off on enforcement to see what happens.

Bruce
Mike T.
2007-01-26 13:07:56 UTC
Post by BryanUT
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5085897
Bill to prohibit traffic-ticket quotas out of committee.
Bryan
"A bill to prohibit law-enforcement agencies from setting traffic-ticket
quotas narrowly passed out of a House committee this morning.
House Bill 255 is sponsored by Rep. Neil Hansen, an Ogden Democrat and a
candidate for mayor of the northern Utah city.
He is proposing the bill because of what became a nasty controversy in
Ogden last summer over new performance standards for police officers. Many
officers considered the standards tantamount to ticket quotas because they
could improve their chances of getting a higher pay raise by writing more
tickets. "

These aren't "NEW" performance standards, and this problem addressed by this
bill isn't unique to Ogden. Promotions and pay raises for police officers
in every area of the U.S. are based partly on number of tickets issued and
(more importantly) AMOUNT OF FINES collected per each ticket written. That
is, an officer who writes 5 tickets for $300 bucks is viewed more favorably
than another officer who writes 5 tickets for $200 bucks. But the officer
who writes 10 tickets for $300 will likely get the promotion, out of that
group of 3 officers. -Dave
Stephen!
2007-01-28 05:55:39 UTC
Post by BryanUT
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5085897
Bill to prohibit traffic-ticket quotas out of committee.
Won't do any good. Most coppers don't have a quota. They can write as
many tickets as they want... ;)
--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Mike T.
2007-01-26 13:00:38 UTC
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
--
After reading the article, it sounds like he was over-riding his abilities.
Took a corner faster than he could handle it. -Dave
Beav
2007-01-26 15:58:42 UTC
Post by Mike T.
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
--
After reading the article, it sounds like he was over-riding his
abilities. Took a corner faster than he could handle it.
Curve, not a corner.
--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19
Paul Elliot
2007-01-26 15:43:28 UTC
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
That's a shame, sounds like he may have been over his head.
BTW, I lived in Roy, WA for a short time in 1973-4 while stationed at
Ft. Lewis.

Beav
2007-01-27 12:59:36 UTC
Post by Paul Elliot
Post by Andrew
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301130_soldier25ww.html
That's a shame, sounds like he may have been over his head.
"May"?
--
Beav

VN 750