Paging Tim Morrow, re: SR500 ignition systems
Mark Olson
2021-01-01 18:37:56 UTC
Tim, if you catch this message somehow, I have a question about
aftermarket ignition systems for the Yamaha SR500. IIRC you used to
have one of those bikes and I'm guessing you might have modded the
ignition system.

A friend of mine has owned a 1978 SR500 almost since it was new and
is hoping to make it a bit easier to start. At our age, I figure we
should use any advantage we can get.

What is the best aftermarket ignition solution? Apparently there are
some that retain the points and the mechanical advance, but let a
solid-state circuit deliver the current to the coil primary. He would
like to avoid making any irreversible mods.

He does happen to have a spare stator which failed (not sure if it
was the charging or ignition winding) which might be a starting point
for a rewind.

Replace leaky with reeky to reply.

elkster88-***@yahoo.com
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, Vespa Ciao
Speedy Mercer
Back in the day, the DYNA boxes made a WORLD of difference on my RD350, and GL1000. Dunno about what is available today.
Mark Olson
2021-01-02 13:52:16 UTC
Post by Speedy Mercer
Post by Mark Olson
A friend of mine has owned a 1978 SR500 almost since it was new and
is hoping to make it a bit easier to start. At our age, I figure we
should use any advantage we can get.
What is the best aftermarket ignition solution? Apparently there are
some that retain the points and the mechanical advance, but let a
solid-state circuit deliver the current to the coil primary. He would
like to avoid making any irreversible mods.
Back in the day, the DYNA boxes made a WORLD of difference on my RD350, and GL1000. Dunno about what is available today.
My GL1000 has some brand of aftermarket ignition on it.
Hasn't run since July 2016... :(
--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, Vespa Ciao