Update: BMW K75/velorex sidehack
Rob Kleinschmidt
2020-02-04 05:55:22 UTC
Bought this unit sight unseen in Texas for $2500 at the end of last summer. As of now, I've invested another $500 in transport costs and maybe another ~$800 in parts and it's beginning to run pretty well.

When I got it, the instrument cluster ws half full of water, the fan was inoperable and the engine often ran like crap. Bought another instrument cluster, swapped in new odometer gears, swapped in a larger K100 fan and radiator, insulated the underside of the tank to cure vaporlock problems, added a manual fan on switch and swapped in a new fuel pump.

The new fuel pump turned out to be the magic bullet that cured a host of strange running problems. All of a sudden, it runs consistently and pretty smoothly with no more strange loss of power episodes. I'm told that ethyl fuel attacks the rubber of early K bike fuel pump mounts, eventually filling the pump up with glop. Symptoms included strange periods of no power followed by miraculous recovery. If the damn thing had had the decendy to just run badly all the time, the problem would have been way easier to trouble shoot.

With the bike running pretty well now, I'm beginning to figure out how to drive it. Still working up my courage on right hand curves, but feeling way more comfortable now that I'm not worrying about strange mechanical issues.

WHat's interesting is all the "Oh crap !! What do I do now ?" moments. I remember these from learning to drive a car and ride a motorcycle, but never thought I'd go through them all over again fifty + years later. I've concluded that when you become a senior citizen, it's very important to scare the crap out of yourself periodically.

As of now, I've logged about 1200 miles on the rig and plan on heading down to Death Valley in a couple weeks for the BMW Airheads rally. Wish me safe travels.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPNM9c9sySPYypDY7c4--Yxn2Z7lXoPVDMvFV0
Terry Coombs
2020-02-04 12:43:28 UTC
Post by Rob Kleinschmidt
[...]
  Safe travels ! I'm at about that same level of experience with the
SportyTrike , got maybe a thousand miles under my belt . But my
mechanical problem was self-induced and I won't be trying any more
burnouts . Belt replacement is a bitch on a trike .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Get outta my woods !
Mark Olson
2020-02-04 18:23:28 UTC
Post by Rob Kleinschmidt
As of now, I've logged about 1200 miles on the rig and plan on
heading down to Death Valley in a couple weeks for the BMW Airheads
rally. Wish me safe travels.
Safe travels!
Post by Rob Kleinschmidt
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPNM9c9sySPYypDY7c4--Yxn2Z7lXoPVDMvFV0
That link gives me a 404.
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, Vespa Ciao
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
2020-02-04 18:33:33 UTC
Post by Rob Kleinschmidt
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPNM9c9sySPYypDY7c4--
Yxn2Z7lXoPVDMvFV0
Post by Mark Olson
That link gives me a 404.
For me, it asks to "Sign in with your Google Account" - which I do not
have, so no see picture here either.

Are K-bikes accepted at Airhead rallies? :-)
-bts
Rob Kleinschmidt
2020-02-05 05:38:03 UTC
Post by Rob Kleinschmidt
Post by Mark Olson
That link gives me a 404.
For me, it asks to "Sign in with your Google Account" - which I do not
have, so no see picture here either.
Are K-bikes accepted at Airhead rallies? :-)
Still got my airhead, which has been languishing in the barn waiting for me to troubleshoot a charging problem. Two bikes has its drawbacks sometimes. We see lots of Urals every year and I've got about 20 more horsepower, so I'm looking forward to showing it off.