E-scooter adventures
s***@gmail.com
2019-12-12 20:39:57 UTC
This story only makes sense knowing the layout around here.

I live right next to the Trans Canada Highway, on the North side.
However, most of the places where I shop are on the South side.

Getting across the freeway with any piston-powered machine
involves traversing a roundabout route that includes at least
one of several choke points. Which degrade from Slow to Crawl
in any traffic volume heavier than very light, such as rush hour.

However, there's also a nearby pedestrian overpass,
where it's legal to ride a bicycle. And here in BC an e-scooter
up to 500 watts is legally a bicycle; with the added advantage
of not needing registration, insurance, license plate
(or a driver's license).

Hence, an incentive to get one, as it could bypass all
the choke points and get me to the nearest shopping mall
in less than 5 minutes -- despite its slow speed (20 mph).

Well my neighbour sold me a 60v beater without batteries
for $200. What a bargain, I thought. Wrong...

But I soon got educated on what I needed to know, for which
tuition wasn't exactly cheap. Sigh.

60 volts means 5 12v deep-cycle e-bike batteries @ ~Cdn$100 each
(for 20AH lead-acid). So now i have a $900 beater, pretty well
a rolling wreck (after taxes and a few other incidentals).
Well, it looked a lot prettier when i bought it than now.

[A few other tedious misadventures omitted]

Meanwhile another neighbour bought one brand new for $1200!
With a few more modern features... such as disk breaks...
Grrrr...

Anyway, thanks for your patience if you've read this far,
because this is where the fun part begins. The thing really is
a hoot, despite it's meager cruising speed. I don't need
sizzling performance for a short distance through a residential
neighbourhood; a dozen city blocks or so.

Through this last summer and fall it must have hauled nearly a ton
of groceries and stuff by now in the plastic crate I've bungeed
to the luggage rack.

And because a supply run is so quick I can take more of them,
buying only what I need for the short term.

Happy trails, SPQ
Doug Payne
2019-12-13 14:34:34 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Through this last summer and fall it must have hauled nearly a ton
of groceries and stuff by now in the plastic crate I've bungeed
to the luggage rack.
I hope you got a KLR sticker for it!

Is your roundabout the pair on McCallum Rd in Abbotsford? Lucky you.
m***@ph.or
2020-01-30 14:55:07 UTC
Speaking of eVs, any idea on what the upcoming Harley D's e-bicycles
will be priced at? Surely more affordable than their LiveWire cycle.
Mark Olson
2020-01-30 17:30:54 UTC
Post by m***@ph.or
Speaking of eVs, any idea on what the upcoming Harley D's e-bicycles
will be priced at? Surely more affordable than their LiveWire cycle.
H-D definitely won't be trying to compete with the lower end of
the e-bike market. I'm sure they will be aiming for the mid- to
upper-range price point, they are a premium brand in the motorcycle
world, without much in the entry level other than the Street 500 &
750 models which aren't exactly overwhelming the market.

If H-D are smart, they will subsidize the price of their pedal assist
e-bikes until the volumes pick up enough to be practical, to gain
as much market share as they can, as fast as they can, before the
incumbent bike companies get their competing offerings to market.

Something a lot of folks seem to lose sight of is that no matter
what power source (human or an engine/motor) drives these bikes,
they are still a bicycle or a low powered motorcycle, with all the
quirks that come with commuting on a limited speed 2-wheeler.

Your average suburban commuter in the USA is never going to get rid of
their car in favor of any sort of bicycle whether it's powered or not,
in the same way that the majority of licensed drivers wouldn't dream of
hopping on a motorcycle. An electric bike is just not a viable choice
for people who live long distances from their jobs with the only
viable route being a high speed motorway. Also totally impractical
for folks who live in climates like Minnesota's, where there are ice
sheets glued to the street for literally months at a time.

Obviously the world is a lot different in places like the Netherlands,
where there's a huge multistorey car park adjacent to the main train
station in Amsterdam. Er, I mean _bicycle_ park- it's a parking garage
with spaces for many thousands of bikes with not a car in it.
--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, Vespa Ciao