Haploid gear oil
Chris
2004-04-08 21:35:12 UTC
I have a Vulcan 750 and I filled the final drive with Castrol 80w90 Hypoy C
gear oil. The manual calls for a haploid SAE 80 gear oil, but this was all
I could find.

Is the oil I used likely to cause problems in the drive (it seems to work
fine, but I don't want to mess up the drive unit)?
Thumper
2004-04-08 21:52:06 UTC
Post by Chris
I have a Vulcan 750 and I filled the final drive with Castrol 80w90 Hypoy C
gear oil. The manual calls for a haploid SAE 80 gear oil, but this was all
I could find.
Is the oil I used likely to cause problems in the drive (it seems to work
fine, but I don't want to mess up the drive unit)?
Haploid? WTF is haploid?

Could you possibly mean hypoid?

Hypoid oil is available in just about any hardware store, auto supply or
motorcycle shop.

Hapliod, I'm not sure of.
--
I trust you'll have the good sense not to mention that I posted this.

Thumper

"I don't want a pickle..."

http://www.thumpers-brithouse.com

2002 BMW R1150RT "Misty"
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1975 Triumph Trident
1974 Norton Interstate
1969 BSA Red Rocket III
1962 Triumph Tiger Cub
1958 BSA Super Bantam COCK
1954 Velocette MAC
Chris

1954 Velocette MAC
jim rozen
2004-04-08 22:05:40 UTC
Post by Thumper
Haploid? WTF is haploid?
This is when your bio-engineered self-replicating
gear oil gets excited and spunks all over your
shop. That would be haploid.

Jim

please reply to:
John
2004-04-08 23:23:59 UTC
Post by jim rozen
Post by Thumper
Haploid? WTF is haploid?
This is when your bio-engineered self-replicating
gear oil gets excited and spunks all over your
shop. That would be haploid.
<chuckle>

--

John
Apple Valley, MN
'73 RD350
Charles Soto
2004-04-09 00:10:18 UTC
Post by Chris
I could find.
Is the oil I used likely to cause problems in the drive (it seems to work
fine, but I don't want to mess up the drive unit)?
Haploid? WTF is haploid?
Could you possibly mean hypoid?
Hypoid oil is available in just about any hardware store, auto supply or
motorcycle shop.
Hapliod, I'm not sure of.
Haploid is a chromosomal state in which there is only one copy of each
chromosome, represented by the designation '1N.' Many fungal and algal
somatic cells exist much of the time in a haploid state. More complex
organisms tend to spend most of their cellular life cycles in the
diploid ('2N') state. Germ cells, however, are always haploid. It is
through sexual reproduction that the diploid state is restored.

Charles
--
Charles Soto - Austin, TX *** 1999 GSF1200S, DoD No. "uno"

("Meepmeep" is "rr," as in "roadrunner.")

Donate to John Kerry's presidential campaign:

https://contribute.johnkerry.com/index.html?source_code=00018096
John
2004-04-09 00:13:24 UTC
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:10:18 GMT, Charles Soto
Post by Charles Soto
Haploid is a chromosomal state in which there is only one copy of each
chromosome, represented by the designation '1N.' Many fungal and algal
somatic cells exist much of the time in a haploid state. More complex
organisms tend to spend most of their cellular life cycles in the
diploid ('2N') state. Germ cells, however, are always haploid. It is
through sexual reproduction that the diploid state is restored.
Like I said, diploid oil is a sure sign you shaft has fuct. ;-)

--

John
Apple Valley, MN
'73 RD350
Jeff Bertrand
2004-04-09 05:22:14 UTC
He, he. Haploid is a genetic term meaning:

1.. Having the same number of sets of chromosomes as a germ cell or half
as many as a somatic cell.
2.. Having a single set of chromosomes.
Maybe similar to half wit?

-WJB
1954 Velocette MAC
Timberwoof
2004-04-09 06:28:30 UTC
Post by Jeff Bertrand
1.. Having the same number of sets of chromosomes as a germ cell or half
as many as a somatic cell.
2.. Having a single set of chromosomes.
Maybe similar to half wit?
It's a special kind of Castor Oil. It uses a special haploid strain of
Castor Beans.
--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com>
faq: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml
bike: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle
entropy_magnet
2004-04-09 13:42:00 UTC
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 06:28:30 GMT, Timberwoof
Post by Timberwoof
Post by Jeff Bertrand
1.. Having the same number of sets of chromosomes as a germ cell or half
as many as a somatic cell.
2.. Having a single set of chromosomes.
Maybe similar to half wit?
It's a special kind of Castor Oil. It uses a special haploid strain of
Castor Beans.
Putting genetically modified fluid in your blinkers makes the baby
jesus cry.
keith s.
2004-04-09 14:19:03 UTC
Post by entropy_magnet
Post by Timberwoof
It's a special kind of Castor Oil. It uses a special haploid strain of
Castor Beans.
Whatever...I use only Spermecetti oil in my Golddwing.
Post by entropy_magnet
Putting genetically modified fluid in your blinkers makes the baby
jesus cry.
So does tossing the little shit on the BBQ grill. That's why you club them
before you grill them...it's the other other white meat.

Nefarious Necrologist 42nd class
Some people ride, some just like to show off their butt
jewelry once in a while.
Dum vivimus, vivamus
<:(3 )3~~ <:(3 )3~~

John
2004-04-08 23:23:08 UTC
Post by Chris
I have a Vulcan 750 and I filled the final drive with Castrol 80w90 Hypoy C
gear oil. The manual calls for a haploid SAE 80 gear oil, but this was all
I could find.
Is the oil I used likely to cause problems in the drive (it seems to work
fine, but I don't want to mess up the drive unit)?
Yes, this will definitely cause problems. The extra set of chromosomes
in the Castrol oil is going to confuse the hell out of your drive
shaft. Change it out quick before you end up with a diploid rear
wheel.

--

John
Apple Valley, MN
'73 RD350
moto
2004-04-09 00:47:40 UTC
Chris ...
Don't worry. That'll work just fine.
Works good on chains too, that's if you had/have one. :>)

moto

Tough? We drink our urine, and eat our dead.

'02 750 Ace..... The Twin
'01 Magna.... Black Magic
'95 750 Nighthawk.Big Red
'95 Helix....... Little Red